Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Let's go!


Earlier this evening we returned from another trip to Milwaukee.  Depending on who’s traveling/driving and the number of stops it is a 4-5 hour trip.  Between Robin and I we have spent 10 days there in the last 3 weeks, with Robin and Kat planning to go back again the day after tomorrow, for about 4 days.  The reason for all of this travel and time away from home is that there has been an acute need for us, and my siblings, to help out our mom.

We are thankful for all the people who have supported our family and prayed over this situation.  I am very thankful for the help that my brothers, sister, and their families have provided to our mom and to my family during this time.  Robin and I are glad that God has restored my mom’s health to the point where she will be returning to live at home.

Tonight, at Kat’s bedtime, we sat with her and read from the Jesus Storybook Bible.  (on Facebook here.) The story we read tonight was titled “Let’s Go!” and is drawn from Matthew 4, Mark 1 and Luke 4-6.  In short it occurs right after Jesus is baptized.  He goes into the desert, fasts and prays in preparation for his ministry, is tempted by Satan, and then gathers his disciples. 

In Mark 1:17-18 it says,

“Jesus said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” And immediately they left their nets and followed him.”

Jesus calls his disciples and says “Let’s go!” and they follow Him, beginning an adventure that is beyond their ability to even imagine, an adventure that we know will reach its fulfillment in the visions of unending praise in Revelation 7 and redeemed creation in Revelation 21.

Robin, Kat and I have been able to help my mom over the past few weeks because at some time in the past Jesus said to each us, “Let’s go!” and off we went.  If this current crisis had happened at a point in my life before I had faith I know I would have done my part, but it would have been for a different, and infinitely lesser, purpose.  It would have been because I had a particular sense of duty, or an ability or responsibility.  And looking back I can see an event in my life where that is exactly how I responded.

But this is different, not because I am any more skillful or responsible, but because I am the Lord’s, and no matter what the outcome may have been in the situation with my mom I see God’s hand all over it, and many ways for the faith in my head and heart to be lived among my family, to God’s everlasting glory. 

How is God reaching and calling you?  Where is He leading your life with His call of “Let’s go?

Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment