Monday, October 5, 2020

What Are You Hungry For?

 


I like to eat. I like to eat a lot, as in both “I really enjoy eating” and “I enjoy eating my share and then some.” One of the benefits, for me, of being a distance runner is that it gives me some cover as I indulge in the pursuit of food. This is especially true after running a marathon, when I need to replenish all those calories that were burned up on the road. 

I like a variety of foods, but certainly not all foods. Brussel sprouts and asparagus? No thanks. Bacon green chili cheeseburger? Yes, with fries, please. Which dessert? You needn’t have asked. I’ll take both. Given the opportunity I’ll make sure that my sweet tooth will be taken care of. Rare is the moment when there isn’t room for another cookie. Just ask Robin! 

This past Sunday after our family worshipped Robin took the kids hiking while I went over to church. We still can’t meet for worship but I have been over there at the time we normally hold worship services, to talk and pray with anyone who stops by. On this particular morning a man came by. He is someone I know and whom I’ve spent a few times with in the past, talking about his life and praying with him. He’s not a member of our church and except for a few times when we met in passing I had not spent any amount of time with him for quite a while. He told me about some changes he is trying to make in his life. I prayed with him and then he headed back home.

When my time at church was done I went back home. It was time to get some lunch and I was hungry. While we had family worship Robin had baked some brownies for dessert on Sunday evening and there was the pan, sitting on the counter, waiting for me.

Truthfully, I was tempted. I didn’t eat any of them, but not because I didn’t want to. I passed on the brownies because I knew I needed better nutrition, not just as a matter of practice, but also because I had other work tasks to get to. A sandwich and apple would give me energy for the afternoon. Several brownies would certainly result in my blood sugar rising and then crashing in ways that would make productive work nearly impossible and an impromptu nap very likely.

One of the things my friend said outside of church on Sunday morning was this: “Everyone needs to eat. But what are we hungry for?” So far this blog post has been about physical food but my friend was getting at the idea of addictions and spiritual food. He has struggled with addictions in the past and is trying to turn from them at present. The question he faces daily is between feeding his addictions and feeding his soul. It was a pleasure to visit with him and to pray with him, asking God to fill his soul with the very best kind of food.

My friend’s words linger with me today. I need to eat. We all need to eat. But what are we hungry for? One of the things I asked God this morning in prayer was that I would have a continual desire to feed on and be nourished by His word. That He would use His word, each day, to nourish me spiritually and to give direction to my life.

We all need to eat, but there is nothing that will nourish us like the word of God in the Bible. May you hunger for His word today and every day. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment