Sunday, November 3, 2019

Closer Than Brothers And Sisters


Last week I preached a funeral for someone I knew here in Dulce. Over the past six years I've met a lot of people. Some I know very casually, in that their face is familiar and I may know their name and perhaps something else about them. On the other end of the spectrum are people I know very well. I have spent lots of time with them, know many of the things they have struggled with in life, and I've prayed with them. I would say that there is a large group of people who fall in between casual and close, and that this friend was of that middle group.

The scripture I preached from was Philippians 2:5-11, where Paul praises Jesus and says this in verses 10-11:

"…so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

There are a number of powerful things in that entire Philippians passage that I brought out as I preached, but there is one in particular that I want to focus on today.

As Paul looks forward to this glorious moment on a glorious day, there are no distinctions among believers in the Lord Jesus. Brand new believers, people who have believed for decades, people who believed and yet also wandered far and long into sin, and believers for whom repentance was a regular part of practicing their faith - all of them will be joined together and enthusiastically praising Jesus. Gladly bending their knee, in humility before their Savior. Gladly lifting their voice, in enthusiastic praise of their Lord.

On that great and glorious day I'll see my friend again, and on that day our relationship will be closer than brothers. Because on that day what will bring us together will not be our relationship with each other here on earth, but our shared place as children of the Lord Jesus Christ.

And that closeness, as brothers, in the best sense of the term, will be present among all believers in Jesus. Women, men, people who we knew in this life and people who we won’t meet until we get to heaven. Sisters and brothers in Christ. All gathered together, praising Jesus. It's going to be great!




Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment