Tuesday, May 14, 2019

How's Your Form?


A bit more than a week ago I ran the Shiprock marathon. It was my first road marathon in two years and coming off last year's prolonged injury and recovery I was a bit apprehensive about the race.

When I crossed the finish line it was with the knowledge that, all-in-all, I had had a pretty good day. I had several different goals for an overall time, and after running for 3 ½ hours I had come within 17 seconds of the best of them. I had a bit of a struggle over the last miles with the increasing heat. My toes hurt and my feet hurt on the soles. In the past 10 years I've also developed a tendency for my left foot to clip my right ankle as my left leg swings through. When this happens my ankle gets sore, at best, and lacerated, at worst. Trust me when I say that this particular marathon was the worst I've ever banged up my ankle.

It was a good day, and just about all I could have hoped for, and yet as I saw some pictures and thought about the race it occurred to me that there were a few things I could have done better. A few things that I'm beginning to work on to run a bit better the next time.

The picture is from late in the race, maybe mile 22 or so. Robin says that it’s a nice picture of me, with Shiprock in the background. I won’t dispute that opinion, but I also see a runner who perhaps shows his age a bit compared to pictures from 25-30 years ago. He's a little less erect, and seen here, in the middle of his stride, his hands are a little bit lower.

As a result I'm making a conscious effort to work on my basic form. To run with my eyes up and set down the road, straightening my back and lifting my hands in the process. Perhaps that will also help to straighten out whatever imbalance causes my foot to scrape my ankle as well. And even if those changes don’t make me faster, they should make me more efficient, which will pay dividends in the marathon's late miles.

Form is also something of value in the Christian life. As I was running this morning I thought about the passage in Galatians 5:19-22. A list of things that Paul calls the "works of the flesh" followed by another list, the "fruit of the Spirit." And I thought about Ephesians 5:10-20, the passage talking about the armor of God.

Both passages are filled with things to consider as I follow Jesus as my Savior and Lord. Are there works of the flesh that I am leaning into, instead of fleeing from? Are their particular fruits of the Spirit that don’t seem to be evident in my life? Am I wearing the armor of God as I live each day?  All of these are opportunities for me to work on the form of my walk as a Christian.

How is your form? Where do you need the Lord to shape you as his servant? Each of us has something to work on, something to tweak, as we are shaped more and more in the image of Jesus. To him be glory now and forever.




Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment