Wednesday, January 16, 2019

No-Brainer


Are you familiar with the story of Sodom and Gomorrah? In a nutshell those cities are filled with evil, God's patience wears thin, and he destroys them with fire. The prelude is in Genesis 18:16-33, where God reveals his plans to Abraham, who then unsuccessfully negotiates for God's mercy. Then in Genesis 19:1-22 God's angels come to Sodom and stay the night with Abraham's nephew, Lot, followed in 19:23-29 with the actual destruction. Everything wraps up with a postlude in 19:30-38.

The story is filled with good guys and bad guys, who display behavior ranging from noble to reprehensible. The person I want to look a bit more closely at here is Abraham's nephew, Lot.

When the angels make their appearance in Sodom, which is Lot's hometown, he is full of hospitality towards them. He opens his home and feeds them. In the evening the locals come to Lot's home and demand to see his guests, with the intent of doing some fairly horrible things to them. Lot, ever the gracious host, tells the locals not to act so wickedly, and then offers them his unmarried daughters as a substitute. I guess we could give him an "A" as a host and a "F-" as a father.

This conversation between Lot and the locals takes place outside his house and as the tension increases the angels rescue Lot, bringing him back into his house for his own safety. And then they tell him what the purpose of their trip to Sodom is. Genesis 19:13 says:

"For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it"

I can imagine Lot saying something like, "Oh, I get it now," because his first action is to warn his two future sons-in-law. Not only does he tell them of the coming destruction, but what I think is most intriguing is that he makes clear that it will be the Lord's doing. Lot knows, and believes, that God is at work in what is going to happen with Sodom.

The next morning it is time to leave, "…but he lingered. So the men seized him…" Once outside of town he is basically told to "run for the hills" but he drags his feet, so to speak. "Those hills are too far and I won't make it. Can I go to this other small town instead?" That request is granted, but the choice is soon found to be a poor one.

So here is the thing I find interesting about Lot. He is warned of what is to happen. He understands, and believes that it is God's doing, and yet, over and over, he drags his feet and bargains for what he thinks is better. If God sends an angel to warn and protect, shouldn't it be a "no-brainer" to listen and follow?

And that is the place where I have much in common with Lot. I have faith in God, not just that he exists but that he has acted through his son Jesus for my salvation, and going a step further, that he has put his Holy Spirit within me. I read my Bible nearly daily, believing it to be true, and so in that sense compared to Lot I have a much clearer understanding of what God has to say, including in the ways he gives warnings to his people. And yet I sin, and I drag my feet when it comes to leaving my sin, and I bargain over it, wanting to believe that having it close by won’t really be a problem. 

The story of Sodom and Lot points me toward God's mercy in Jesus. And seeking him in all things, perhaps especially in times of temptation, is the real "no-brainer."





Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

2 comments: