Thursday, September 6, 2018

The Book That Rewrites Us


Yesterday morning was the time I had blocked out to write Sunday's sermon. Of all the things I do as a pastor, preaching God's word is the most time consuming. The actual act of preaching on Sunday morning only takes 25-30 minutes, but the preparation is another matter. Prayer, study, thinking, writing, editing and reviewing takes time. I only mentioned each of the basic parts once but prayer takes place repeatedly, and the thinking/editing/reviewing parts are also often repeated along the way to Sunday morning.

I have learned through experience that getting the greater part of my sermon done early in the week is the best way to be prepared for any of the myriad unplanned things that might occur before the next Sunday. Whenever possible, I try to have a draft of my sermon done on Tuesday, and so I try to approach each work week with the intention to spend several hours, either in the morning or afternoon, either Tuesday or Wednesday, writing my basic sermon.

So yesterday morning I had my Bible, my study notes and some blank sheets of paper, and sat down to write. I thought I had a basic understanding of the biblical text, John 5:9-18, and a goal for the congregation in the proclamation of that text.  I had a rough outline, a sheet of paper labeled "Introduction," and…

And I just couldn’t figure out how to begin. I had an idea of the destination but struggled to figure out how to start the journey. One of the first books I read after graduation seminary was a most excellent book on preaching. There were things I learned in that book that I have used since my first days in Dulce. One lesson, however, never took. That was the idea that a sermon body should be written first, with the introduction and conclusion written last. I've just never been able to put my sermon together that way, and, frankly, I've never been inclined to change my method from what seems to work well for me. Start at the Introduction and keep going to the end of the Conclusion.

And so I thought of beginning one way. Wait, that won’t work. Instead, begin this way. Nope, that isn't right either. Gotta start somewhere, somehow, but where? How?

After a few minutes of mental wrestling with several introduction ideas it occurred to me that in the past few months I have done a fair amount of rewriting in the editing and reviewing phases, so just start writing and if I am completely off base when all is done, then just come back and rewrite the intro. No big whoop.

And then I thought, that's what the Bible does to me as I spend time in it. It rewrites me.

It convicts me of sin and invites repentance. It deepens and strengthens my understanding of God. It encourages me in seeking to know God's will at this point in my life, and then to trust him as my life conforms to his will.  And it does so much more.

God will use the Bible in the same way with you. As you spend time in it, you will be changed. Bit by bit, sometimes easily, and sometimes with great internal discomfort, as you read, study and pray God's word, God will be rewriting you.

To borrow from Augustine, "take up and read," so that God can shape you into a person conformed more and more in his image, to his eternal glory. Amen.





Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment