Thursday, October 12, 2017

Pray With


I like to run. I like to run every day.  And I like to run early in the morning.  If the weather and other considerations would allow I would get out and on the road just before the first light breaks into the sky. 

Sometimes it works out that way and sometimes it doesn't.  Right now, with our recently expanded family, I gladly cede the early time to Robin, so that she can get out for a walk before things get underway at home.  I do some work early, help a bit with the children, and go run mid-morning.

While not my favorite time, it is also not my least favorite time, and it does have its own set of advantages.  And among those advantages is crossing paths, so to speak, with a group of people I may not otherwise see.  The people hanging out at the park.

This morning as I was going past the park I saw a few people sitting on the picnic tables. One of them called out something along the lines of "Run a mile for me!," which I took as my invitation to stop and briefly visit.  I talked with the man, whom I knew, which surprised him, and said "Hi" to the other three, two of whom I also knew by name.

As our visit ended the first man said, "Say a prayer for me" to which I replied, "I'll pray with you."  At that he invited his friends over to join us, one of whom was clearly a bit reluctant.  I said a prayer with them and then went back on my way.  When I passed the park again on my return home, everyone had moved on.

It is pretty easy to agree with someone who asks you to pray for them.  And I think it is a good thing to pray for others.  But I also think there is something powerful in taking that very moment and praying with them.  I think it shows a willingness to be with them, before God, right now, in the moment, rather than on their behalf at a later time.  It helps them see that God cares for them, right now.  And while my motivation is not to make a public display of faith (Hey! Look at me, the pastor!) I am conscious of the fact that my being seen in prayer with one person may spark another person to come to me at their point of need.  Coming to God with one person may lead to coming before God with another.

The park in Dulce is a frequent place for people to meet before and after going to the nearby liquor store.  I already knew all four of the people I saw this morning as people who struggle with alcohol.  Two of them are among those my wife and I pray for daily.  

This morning it was a joy to not only pray for them, but with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment