Thursday, September 7, 2017

The Working Of The Spirit


I left the house early this afternoon to run two quick errands.  I'd be back in 10-15 minutes. 
                           
Two hours later I returned home.  One thing lead into another, as I did my errands and then some.  It was all good and I came home without regrets. 

No regrets, but certainly a measure of wondering, particularly about an unplanned encounter at the grocery store.

As I was walking into the store I ran into someone I have known from very early in our time in Dulce, but who I haven't seen for a long time.  He is among the many people I know in this community who struggle with alcohol.  Being a pastor I am aware of quite a few people who face this same struggle, but this man is one who is among the ten or so people that my wife and I pray for daily.

Anyhow, this man and I talked for a bit, I prayed with him, and then I went into the store.  I put some signs up on the bulletin board and then came out, but my friend was already gone.

And I wondered.  I wondered, How many times have I prayed with him over the past four years?  How many more times will I pray with him?  How many times, and how many more times, are my wife and I going to pray for him?  At what point in all those prayers is God going to provide the answer we all long for, that of deliverance from his struggle with alcohol?

One of the things I did after getting back to work at home was to read a sermon by James S. Stewart titled, "The Wind of the Spirit."  Tucked into that sermon were these words:

"Perhaps some of us would think twice before praying for the gift of the Spirit if we knew where He was liable to lead us." 

I don't know if I've ever prayed in particular for the gift of the Spirit but I do know that Robin and I prayed quite a bit as we listened for where God was calling us in ministry.  Four years later and we continue to pray for God's providence and guidance as we serve in Dulce. 

Would we have prayed differently if we knew more clearly what lie ahead, of whom my four-year friendship above is but one example?  I don’t think so.

The Holy Spirit was at work in bringing us to Dulce.  The Holy Spirit is at work as we pray for this friend.  And I believe that one the Holy Spirit will work in this friend in such a way as to deliver him from alcohol.  And all of these workings of the Spirit are to the eternal praise and glory of God.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment