Saturday, January 3, 2015

And It Was So


This morning one the things I read was Genesis 1.  As I read it I was carried back to a memory of a Sunday several years ago.  It was the first Sunday of January, 2008, which I remember because I went to church with several friends from seminary that morning.  One of the readings in worship was Genesis 1, and I followed along in my Bible as the pastor spoke. 

It is an exciting story.  It is the biblical account of creation coming into existence, not from the hand of God, but by the speaking of His voice.  God speaks and things happen.  Verse 3 says,

"And God said, "let there be light, and there was light."" 

Boom!  Just like that!  One moment there is nothing, so much nothing that we can't even say that a thing like 'nothing' even exists, and in the next moment…light!

So today I remembered that particular Sunday and the excitement I felt as the pastor read the whole chapter.  The excitement of hearing creation unfold at the speaking of God's voice.  But as I read this morning something else caught my attention, something in the fairly familiar story of creation that I had never noticed before. 

"And it was so."

Just four words.  Four words that follow some, but not all, of the segments of the creation story.  In verses 9, 11, 15 and 24 God speaks something into existence and after God speaks the author ends the verse, "And it was so." 

The creation story is a historical account.  It tells us of something that has happened.  The author writes the words of God speaking, and then follows with a statement that what God said did indeed happen.

What got my attention this morning was that in the very earliest parts of the Bible we see God say that something will happen, and then that thing happens.  From the earliest parts of the Bible we begin to learn that the things God says are trustworthy.  What He says will happen is something that will indeed happen.  So that not only can we look back and say "It was so," but we can also know with confidence this about the promises He makes: "It will be so."

He promised His people a Redeemer and in His son, Jesus, He has provided one.  He promises that all who have faith in Jesus will one day be joined with Him in eternal life.  And this is a promise that is unfailing.

It was so.  And it will be so.  To God's eternal glory.  Amen.



Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment