Friday, July 4, 2014

You Can't Make This Stuff Up


Something interesting happened outside of the parsonage this afternoon.  I could never have guessed that something like what I saw would actually happen.  I couldn't have dreamed it.  It was the kind of thing that would perhaps happen in a movie, except it wasn't a movie.  It was real life.  It falls into the category of "You can't make this stuff up." 

It crosses into that part of my job that is confidential, so you'll have to trust me.  I know I've written a teaser, but I can't share the details. 

That phrase, "you can't make this stuff up," has been an irregular presence in my life for perhaps the past ten years.  Maybe longer than that.  It just seems that in the past ten years, time and again, something has happened that is best classified with that heading. 

Some things were good.  Some not.  All were unexpected and unpredictable. 

As I sat outside today and watched the kids, pondered the incident I had seen, and recalled an online discussion yesterday, my pastoral mind was kindled.  Because there is something else that is so unlikely, so unexpected, so undeserved, that it almost could fall into the category of "you can't make this stuff up."  Almost.

And that is the salvation God holds out to sinners, people who have sinned against Him and, by faith in His Son, Jesus, turn towards God and receive forgiveness and eternal life. 

Forgiveness that is complete.  Forgiveness that covers all sins, from birth to death.  Every one. 

And the promise of eternal life with God.  A sure and certain promise, given by One who cannot fail to keep His promises.  Not ever.

Gifts that are completely free.  Completely undeserved.  And yet a gift that is there for the taking, for the heart that trusts in Jesus. 

In Galatians 5:1 Paul writes:

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

On this day, July 4th, a day when Americans celebrate freedom as a nation, may you know an infinitely better and perfect freedom, the freedom that can be yours through faith in Christ.




Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment