Sunday, January 27, 2013

“If God is…”


Over the past four weeks the pastor of our church has preached sermons that were based around questions that the congregation had asked him.  For several weeks he invited people to ask whatever questions were on their mind.  Questions about Jesus, the Bible, the church, whatever.  He received a wide variety of questions.  He collected the questions, identified some themes among them, and then constructed sermons that addressed what seemed to be the four main themes. 

The most popular theme had to do with end times, in general, and the messages contained within the book of Revelation, in particular.  The text that was read in worship this morning before the sermon was Revelation 1.  I had the privilege of reading the text before the congregation.  I read it several times at home, so that I wouldn't stumble over any words as I read aloud, and since coming home this morning I have read it several more times. 

One verse really which sticks in my mind today is Revelation 1:8, which says:

“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

I often find myself thinking about who God is and what that means for me.  Thoughts such as:  If God is holy, and I believe He is, then what does that mean in my life?  How does God’s nature as holy affect how I approach my daily life?  My walk with God?  My parenting?

I can substitute almost any other thought about God’s nature and character and then consider the implications that follow.  Such as God’s righteousness.  Or His justice.  Or His perfection.  Or His love.  The way we understand who God is has direct meaning on how we live as disciples and servants of God in the world.

That one verse from Revelation 1 says a whole lot about who God is.  God is the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the Ending.  He begins to reveal Himself in Genesis 1 and shows us the conclusion of His plan for redemption in Revelation 22. 

He is and was and is to come. God is eternal and transcends time.  There is no time when He was not, there is no time when He isn't, and there will be no time when He will not be. 

And God is the Almighty.  Not merely almighty, as if almighty in itself is something that could ever be less than something else.  God is The Almighty.  There is nothing over which He does not have full and complete power and authority.  Never has been.  Never will be.

If God is The Almighty, and I believe that He is, then what does that mean for my life?  Among other things, it means that I don’t have to be the perfect husband and parent.  I can seek God’s guidance as a husband and a parent.  I can delight in my family, thank God for the gift in my life that they are, and seek His guidance and strength to be the best husband and father that I can be. 

If The Almighty has called me to the roles of husband and parent then being a godly husband and father is something that gives glory to Almighty God.  And giving glory with all of my life is the way I should live in response to God as The Almighty, or as Holy, or in any other way in which I may understand God. 

Who is God in your eyes? In your heart?  How has God revealed Himself to you, and what does that mean for you?  How can you live your life for God?

If you are looking for a partner to pray with, or to walk with on this journey, please let me know, for I would be glad to come alongside. 

May you know the presence of The Almighty in your life today, and every day.



Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment